Great satisfaction with turnover record at Port of Hirtshals
The end of two years of corona restrictions can really be felt at Port of Hirtshals, which in 2022 set a record with a turnover of DKK 84.9 million and a profit of DKK 6.4 million. It is particularly passenger car and passenger traffic, which is back at the same level as before corona, that accounts for the progress. On the expenditure side, inn 2022 the port has intensified capital investments in connection with the impending port expansion.
2022 was a record year for the Port of Hirtshals, where a solid end could finally be put to the impact of the corona pandemic on the port's activities. With a turnover of DKK 84.9 million, the port can thus note an increase of almost 12 percent compared to the previous year.
The turnover a profit before tac of DKK 6.4 million has primarily resulted from a normalization of car and passenger traffic, which is now back at the same level of activity as in 2019. At the same time, the volume of goods has increased by 8.2 percent from 2019 to 2022.
- Despite rising prices for, among other things, electricity, maintenance tasks and oil caused by the geopolitical circumstances, we have still managed to achieve a satisfactory result, not least because we had calculated large increases in costs. We are of course very proud of that, says chairman of the board of Port of Hirtshals Anker Laden-Andersen.
Port of Hirtshals has also experienced an increase in fishing for the second year in a row. Here, revenue for Fiskeauktion Nord has increased by 17 percent compared to 2021, which is both due to better pricing of the fish and larger quantities.
Construction investments for the preparatory works in connection with the port expansion where also intensively worked on in 2022. The expansion includes, among other things, a new entrance and an outer fore-port basin, which will improve the entrance conditions significantly, so that it will be possible to call at the port both with larger ship and in rough weather.
At the same time, the expansion must provide space for the establishment of additional staging and business areas, so that there will be even better space to realise, among other things, the port's steadily increasing activities within the green transition.
- During 2022, we have worked intensively on landing several concrete agreements on partnerships, all of which have CO2 reduction as a common denominator - for example, the agreement around Greenport Scandinavia with, among others, INEOS Energy on the shipping of CO2 from biogas plans in North Jutland. 2023 has also already gotten off to a good start with, among other things, the agreement on the establishment of refuelling facilities with liquid gas (LNG) for heavy traffic. Greenport North, which works with green development projects at Port of Hirtshals, has a large part of the credit for the realisation of these projects, which will only intensify over the coming years, says Per Holm Nørgaard, CEO of Port of Hirtshals.
Facts - Port of Hirtshals annual accounts 2022:
- Revenue: DKK 84.9 million
- Profit before tax: DKK 6.4 million
- Cargo volume: DKK 1.95 million
- Lorries/trucks: 144,000
- Passenger cars: 780,000
- Passengers: 2,369,000
- Fishing (value of landings): DKK 417 million